Born in Milan, 19 May 1964, Roberto Verganti is:
- Director of the Alta Scuola Politecnica, the School for talents of Politecnico di Milano and Politecnico di Torino
- Full Professor of Management of Innovation at Politecnico di Milano, where he teaches at the School of Management, at the School of Design, and in the Doctoral Program in Management .
- Director of Made in Lab, the laboratory for advanced education on Marketing, Design and Innovation of MIP-Politecnico di Milano.
- Co-director of the Master Degree in Strategic Design of Politecnico di Milano.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the EIASM (the European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management)
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Product Innovation Management
- Associate Editor for the European Management Review
- Member of the Organising Committee of the EIASM International Product Development Management Conference.
- Member of the Advisory Council of the Design Management Institute, Boston.
Roberto Verganti research interests are in the field of management of innovation with a focus in design-driven innovation, i.e. where the semantic-linguistic dimension of the product is relevant and where innovation has a significant emotional and socio-cultural content. In particular he has investigated successful firms in the Italian design system. He has also developed research and training laboratory on Innovation and interdisciplinarity. In his role of Director of the School of Doctoral Programs of Politecnico di Milano (coordinating 30 PhD programs in different disciplines of engineering, architecture and design) and then of Director of the Alta Scuola Politecnica (a School for talents focusing on interdiscplinarity and innovation), Roberto Verganti has explored new paths to the creation of a new polytechnic culture, based on interdisciplinarity. To this purpose he has designed new educational frames and programmes on innovation, and has developed a ground for cultural debate, leveraging on the interrelationships between different disciplines such as economy, management, sociology, semiotic, anthropology, epistemology, history of technology.
Roberto Verganti has published more than 100 papers, including 30 papers on leading international journals (such as Management Science, Journal of Product Innovation Management, International Journal of Production Research, R&D Management, International Journal of Operations and Production Management) and 7 books.
He has given Seminars on the Management of Innovation in several Italian and International Schools ( Harvard Business School, Copenaghen Business School, IAE, Theseus Institute - HEDEC , Chalmers University, Helsinki University of Technology, Warwick Business School, Vlerick Business School, Executive Program MIP-MIT, Rochester Institute of Technology, Aalborg University, University of Twente, Universidad de Buenos Aires ), and has given consulting and executive courses for several companies (including Hewlett-Packard, ST-Microelectronics, Xerox, Ericsson, Telia, Astra-Zeneca, Pharmacia-Upjohn, Pirelli, Volvo Group, Same, Whirlpool, Kraft, Nestlè, Ranks Hovis McDougall, Rackitt-Benckiser, Landis & Gyr, Ducati, Ferretti, Unilever, Tetrapak, Snamprogetti, Dalmine, Danieli, B-Ticino, Mantero, Snaidero). He has been a keynote speaker in several scientific conferences, including the International Product Development Management Conference and the European Academy of Management.
- Award “Compasso d’Oro” 2001 (the most prestigious design award in Italy) to the research project Sistema Design Italia, in which he participated to the Scientific Organizing Committee;
- Best Conference Paper Award to the paper: Buganza, T., Dell’Era, C., Verganti, R., “Exploring the Relationships between Product Development and Environmental Turbulence: The Case of Mobile TLC Services”, 11th International Product Development Management Conference, EIASM, Dublin, Ireland, 21-22 June, 2004.
- Best Conference Paper Award to the paper: T. Buganza, R. Verganti, “Life-Cycle Flexibility: How to measure and improve the innovative capability in turbulent environments”, 10th International Product Development Management Conference, EIASM, Brussels, Belgium, June, 2003
- Best Conference Paper Award (runner-up) to the paper: T. Buganza, R. Verganti, “Design Inertia: Designing for life-cycle flexibility in Internet-based services” 9th International Product Development Management Conference, EIASM, May, Sophia-Antipolis, France, 2002;
- Best conference paper award to G. Zotteri, G. Spina, and R. Verganti “Factors Influencing Co-design Adoption: Drivers and Internal Consistency”, VII EurOMA Conference on “Crossing Borders and Boundaries: The Changing Role of Operations”, Gent, Belgium, 4-7 June 2000;
J. Utterback, B.A. Vedin, S. Ekman, S. Sanderson, B. Tether, R. Verganti, The Design Inspired Enterprise, World Scientific, New York, NJ, 2006.
T. Buganza, R. Verganti, “Life-Cycle Flexibility: How to measure and improve the innovative capability in turbulent environments”, Journal of Product Innovation Management. Accepted for publication.
R. Verganti, T. Buganza, “Design Inertia: Designing for life-cycle flexibility in Internet-based services” Journal of Product Innovation Management. Vol 22, No. 3, May 2005, 223-237.
R. Verganti, “Design as brokering of languages. The role of designers in the innovation strategy of Italian firms”, Design Management Journal, Vol. 14, N. 3, pp. 34-42, Summer 2003.
A. MacCormack, and R. Verganti, “Managing the Sources of Uncertainty: Matching Process and Context in Software Development”, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 20, No. 3, May 2003, 217-232.
A. MacCormack, R. Verganti, and M. Iansiti, "Developing Products on "Internet Time": The Anatomy of a Flexible Development Process", Management Science, Vol.47, No.1, January 2001, pp. 133-150.
R. Verganti, “Planned Flexibility: Linking Anticipation and Reaction in Product Development Projects”, Journal of Product Innovation Management, Vol. 16, No. 4, 363-376, 1999.
G. Noci, and R. Verganti, “Managing “Green” Product Innovation in Small Firms”, R&D Management, Vol. 29, No. 1, 3-15, 1999.
R. Verganti, “Leveraging on Systemic Learning to Manage the Early Phases of Product Innovation Projects”, R&D Management, vol. 27, N. 4, October, 377-392, 1997.
E. Bartezzaghi, M. Corso, and R. Verganti, “Continuous Improvement and Inter-Project Learning in New Product Development”, International Journal of Technology Management, Special Issue on Continuous Improvement, Vol. 14, No. 1, 1997, 116-138.
R. Verganti, M. Calderini, P. Garrone, S. Palmieri, L’impresa dell’innovazione. La gestione strategica della tecnologia nelle PMI. IlSole24Ore, Milano , 2004.
F. Zurlo, R. Cagliano, G. Simonelli, R. Verganti, Innovare con il Design. Il caso del settore dell’illuminazione in Italia. Il Sole 24 Ore, Milano, 2002.